November 29, 2008


It finally happened, it finally happened!! After numerous tries, trial and error, I FINALLY created a drink at work that is going on the drink list menu!!

My bar manager is one of the best bartenders I have ever worked with. This guy really knows his stuff. He has created our signature drink list at the bar and the drinks are all a hit. He told us one day that he wants us to come up with a drink to add to the list and I took that as a challenge. It was then I threw down the gauntlet and dug in my heels, put my nose to the grindstone and started experimenting. After a few tries, I had already had an unofficial shot that was catching on--in fact, the bar owner has me pour them out whenever he buys rounds. But I wanted more. I wanted a full drink. I wanted to be put on the menu.

Last night, while it was slow, I was poking around the bar as I always do, just checking on things and seeing what was new and what may be missing. I found this jar of hibiscus syrup. Hmm. Interesting. I opened it up, smelled it and the gears started turning. My muse started whispering in my ear and I listened to her intently. Needless to say, in a short time, I came up with a winner. So much so that as I was creating the drink, some customers saw me making it and were curious as I was mixing it up. You see, in our bar, we use fresh ingredients, and all the bar tools you can think of to make our drinks. When customers see this, they get curious. And when they saw me pouring out this exotic hibiscus syrup to make the drink, and putting some muscle into it, their interest was peaked. I let one person take a sip. He immediately liked it, passed it to his friends, they liked it, and then on I went to sell this drink all night that I had just made, and hadn't even had a name for!!

So by a miracle of god, my bar manager drops in to visit. I make the drink for him, and usually--everyone knows this and even laughs about it--he'll take a sip and put on his unimpressed face. Not this time around. He takes a sip of my ambrosia, didn't say anything at first, and kept talking to his friend. I had a feeling he liked it because he didn't put it down. So I kind of make my way over to him again and look at him, he turns to me and says that not only is it good and he likes it, but he breaks down to me just exactly why the drink is good. I was floored!!

So now today, I'm still trying to come up with a name for the drink--I created it last night--and I find that's harder to come up with a name than actually coming up with a new drink. It seems my muse doesn't do names....

But now I feel incredibly accomplished and validated at work. I am already Momma Bear of the bar, but now I have my own drink and the respect of the manager. I am so happy...

I'M GOING TO DISNEYLAND!!

Uh....no....

1 comment:

The Jaded NYer said...

That's cool! I'm going to stop over next weekend and DEMAND you make it for me! lol